11 Şubat 2013 Pazartesi

Our children are doomed

To contact us Click HERE
At first I thought it was charming how 2-year-olds were able to use iPhones to play games and watch videos. But now I see it has ruining our children.

I have a friend who is a kindergarten teacher. She relates how middle class children need remedial training for simple tasks like drawing with a crayon. Lower class children don't have smartphones at home, so have already learned how to handle other things. Middle class (and higher) know how to hold an iPhone and pinch-and-zoom, but have never held a crayon before.

The thing that worries me is that iPhones and iPads are great for consuming content, but horrible for creating it. I say this while typing on my laptop. I type really fast. But what I can't do is write with a pen/pencil. Except for signing checks, I haven't written anything in decades. Indeed, the last time I paid taxes, I asked my accountant to fill out the check for me so all I had to do was sign it. And even my signature has been reduced to a short squiggle.

I don't care about losing the ability to write as long as I can type. What worries me is that children won't learn how to type, either. Are we creating a generation of kids who know how to consume, but who can't produce anything?


Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder